Jan Kriel School currently has 3 psychologists offering services to the learners, staff and parents.
The Inclusive Education Team
The Inclusive Education Team consists of an Educational Psychologist, Occupational therapist and Learning support educator.
- The mandate of the IE Team is to support the learners on the waiting list.
- In order to determine the needs of the learners, the IE Team meets with the teachers of the learners’ current mainstream schools and in some cases with the parents.
- The IE Team mainly supports schools in the Metropole East Education District.
- More recent information regarding the learners’ functioning and barriers are updated by assessments, sifting tests, and interviews with teachers and parents.
- In some cases observations are coordinated by the IT Team to provide the multidisciplinary team the opportunity to determine whether the learner could benefit from the program presented at Jan Kriel School.
- The IE Team provides support and information regarding the accommodation of learners with specific educational needs, assessment accommodations and accessibility devices.
Psychological services within the school include the following:
Receiving and processing of applications that are sent to the school via several WCED district offices. These applications are then discussed at a quarterly placement meeting in alliance with the WCED sifting committee to make decisions regarding these applications.
Psychometric assessment of learners where necessary.
Handling enquiries regarding the admission criteria and application procedure for placement of a learner in a special school such as Jan Kriel.
Networking with other professionals or institutions outside the school (e.g. psychiatrists,
Involvement in the motivation and coordination of subject changes.
Managing the database of learners who are candidates.
Coordinating learner discussions as well as discussions of applications for alternative assessment accommodations by the multi-disciplinary team of Jan Kriel School.
Coordinating observation periods in collaboration with the WCED.